Friday, May 1, 2009

Mayday, mayday!

Yay! Aprils over and May has begun! Summer is on its way! Only 2 days until my triumphant return to the great white north (Toronto) and I have made resolutions. Ok so I know that's a January thing but who says you can't start late?
  1. As of Monday 1 week fast (3 lbs gained from vaca, MUST BE LOST)
  2. Back to strict workout regime, boot camp's got nuttin on me!
  3. Absolutely NO refined sugar (including drinks at the bar, G&T ONLY if I'm going to have any)
  4. Drink more water
  5. Win back my Cupcake (if lost)
  6. Keep up my tan
  7. Get my hair done
Ok so the last ones not really a resolution it just needs to happen. I should probably put quit smoking on there somewhere but I know I wont keep that one so theres no need to lie to myself. Especally seeing as how I'm buying a carton of Marbie lights at duty free :P.

I'm so inspired by the other blogs, I'm so glad to see that I'm not the only one that struggles with cravings! I did pretty well today tho:
  • 1 hardboiled egg (70 Cal)
  • 1 Grande coffee frapp Lite
  • 1/2 cup orzo
  • enough water to make my bladder want to explode and my kidneys drown
I also took the dog for a 45 min. walk and went swimming for half an hour. I'm getting pretty lazy with my workouts but its hard to find motivation when your on vacation. Well that and I dont have the same equipment that I do at home (i.e. a full gym at my disposal).

So also, I learned today that my favorite-what I thought was safe-treat, Booster Juice fruit smoothies are like crazy high in cal. I'm pretty bummed about it, but I think I can make ones that arent as bad at home. I just need to invest in a blender. Does anyone have any low fat, low cal smoothie recipes?

Speaking of low cal. So I have always had a soft spot in my heart for sweet potatoes, much healthier then regular potatoes and lower in cal (204 compared to almost 300). Any who, I dont eat fries as they are sooo bad for you, but I make my own baked sweet potato fries that are much healthier and are also low cal when I feel like treating myself. All you have to do is slice the S.P. into steak fry size wedges VERY LIGHTLY brush them with extra virgin olive oil and a little curry powder bake in the oven (DO NOT FRY! that's where all the bad stuff comes from) at 400 for 25 min or until the ends turn brown and enjoy. I only make them once in a blue moon and mostly when I have company over so that I can eat something and not look suspicious, but if you are feeling indulgent or need a cover up food I highly suggest! Sometimes if my Dad is breathing down my back or starts to question my eating habits, I'll make these and he shuts up, not only because he's shoving his face with them but also because he'll see me nibble them.

I know some of you will criticize me for posting a recipe but I think that its OK to have "safe foods". I know how hard it is, especially if you live at home with parents, to restrict or fast so I just wanted to offer a better alternative to a food that I know some people crave. I hope is more of a help than a hindrance.

Stay strong and think thin!

2 comments:

  1. You did better than me today!
    Is orzo that pasta/semolina/something stuff? I think I've had it in soups before...

    Even though I prefer plain potatoes to sweet ones, those fries sound delicious! (Most likely because I'm super hungry).

    Glad that you had fun on your vacation, and thanks for the tips; I think there's mint tea at work, so I'll get some of that, water, and ONLY raw fruits and vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I freaking love sweet potatos.....mmmmm....
    Good luck with your fast! Loves you Kath!

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete